PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 18:57
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by arearadar
Where does it say that the a/c was continuously tracked without a break, thus retaining identification ?
I read that a/c disappeared from radar.
After that. primary returns were observed but identification was not confirmed. How could it be ?
As a controller of 33 years experience that wouldn`t satisfy me.
For a controller I would agree that you would be seeking additional corroboration.

As a surveillance operator on the other hand, if I had dots 1, 2, . ,. ,. 4, ., 6
where the spacing accords with the estimated speed allowing for missing returns on a number of sweeps (even where the 'sweep' are not shown on the display) then I would consider that as possibly 'my' track. This is for a non-cooperating track where squawk flash or ident turns could not be requested. If there were no other 'Unknowns' then I would consider I had a coherent track and apply a track number to it.

In this case I think they would have to work on probabilities and not certainties.

PS

I agree with Hunter58. If the military had the primary labelled as Friendly then it would be tracked through the turn back.

PPS, thank you MPN11 ( see we are of an age )

Last edited by Pontius Navigator; 20th Mar 2014 at 19:43.