PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 18:45
x_navman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Too much data'

Really? How much room does say 12 hours worth of a series of numbers sampled say every 5 seconds really take up.

And if bandwidth is a problem then isn't the answer to add more. Wouldn't a few more satellites paid for by the world's aviation industries cost less than the sorts of monies that are now being expended?

I'd like to see an analysis of the complexities and economics. Has one ever been done?
i think live data - even if it's just a subset of the full recording would be useful, and probably possible with the current satellite communications system.

But the suggestions I've seen onTV of real time video streamed from all commercial aircraft in the air, over a satellite communication network, is almost certainly not possible without a whole new satellite system.

You would want at least some reasonable video quality - not like the CCTV footage on crime TV shows, where you can't tell who it is or what they are doing.

Just like home internet connections, satellites data services are optimized for much greater bandwdith down than up, and they are not really designed for video streaming. a satellite connection for streaming is _much_ more expensive than just a regular data connection, and at least for the common services, even streaming is mostly restricted to 256kb/sec or 512/kb/sec, so not very high res. also, the antennas are huge.