PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 16:03
D.S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
on the "more satellite images likely" / "satellite images should be very detailed ... look at Google's images!" thing, I just want to throw this out

Remember, Google has plenty of time to take as many detailed shots as they like. They can zoom in the focus to get the best possible image - they know what they are going for, and know it aint gonna be moving anytime soon

This isnt quite the case here though. They are searching Thousands of miles, in a quick time period, on a moving surface

These images were from 4 days ago already. They are likely a portion of multiple snaps as the entire region was being quick scanned at a resolution high enough to spot something, low enough to allow for the entire area to be hit with said images to be gone over. They likely made a few passes, but I doubt there was a ton of them. There likely isn't a more zoomed in snap of this as they didn't know for a couple days to even zoom in a shot right there; there was that much area being searched.

At this point (and really, since they started narrowing down the search to smaller and smaller areas) they have probably been taking higher resolution zoomed in snaps. But this is 4 days later, that debris possibly isn't even there anymore so who knows if they have even been able to find it once again on another satellite image.

Not saying they don't have more images, they very well could. And not saying this is exactly the resolution - I imagine they may have blurred it little. But I doubt there are images anywhere near the resolution we would see of say, the released images of suspicious whatever peaking out of the sand in Afghanistan cira-2002, let alone anything close to the Google like "omg, I can see the gnome on my lawn!" type snaps.

IMO, at least