PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WT departure separation (crossing RWYs)
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 15:12
callum91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So aircraft A departs the threshold of runway 25 and rotates before crossing the centreline of runway 35. Aircraft B can be launched from the threshold of runway 35 WHEN? Is it classed as an intermediate departure? If so, WHY? Where is the criteria for this laid down anywhere in the MATS?
I would say aircraft B can be airborne 3 minutes after aircraft A. Although it doesn't make it very clear in the MATS. I would argue that it comes under aircraft departing from an intermediate point because it can't be classed as 'the same position'.

Secondly, as mentioned previously, does the above statement refer to WTS before or after the helicopter in question? I.e. should there be 3 minutes WTS before the helicopter is allowed to cross, or should there be 3 minutes WTS between the helicopter crossing and the departure thereafter. Or would this indeed be 2 minutes instead of 3 minutes? I think the word 'intermediate' in this statement is hugely confusing as it draws the reader to thinking 3 minutes, the WTS associated with an intermediate departure. How does a crossing helicopter in any way form an 'intermediate' departure when an aircraft thereafter departs from the runway threshold?
I believe this is referring to a light helicopter that is air taxing across the runway beyond the point of rotation of a heavier aircraft meaning it will have to wait 3 minutes before doing so. You also need to consider if it was a small helicopter (e.g. S61) crossing ahead of a departing light aircraft, if the flight paths might cross then 3 minutes will be required. There is a general rule that if the projected flight paths cross at the same altitude or less than 1000ft below then WT needs to be considered.