PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should I sacrifice my braces to attempt to become a pilot in the RAF?
Old 20th Mar 2014, 14:05
jackocooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Should I sacrifice my braces to attempt to become a pilot in the RAF?

It has been my dream to become a pilot in the RAF for a very long time. A few months ago I recieved a text message from RAF Careers saying that my prefered role (pilot) has opened. I leaped at the opportunity and returned all of the application forms within a couple of hours.

I was then invited to a presentation at my local ACFO, which I attended and was then invited to carry out the RAF computer based aptitude tests at RAF Cranwell. After 9 long hours of aptitude testing, I passed!
I was then invited to attend a filter interview at an AFCO, just yesterday. I begin revising straight away and continued to every day up until the interview. I arrived at the AFCO, sat down and the Officer looked at me and say "you've got braces. You can't progress any further in the application process until you have those braces removed." After hours upon hours of revision, I was sent home.

My question is, should I have my braces removed to continue with my application? Or do I wait about 1 year until my dental treatment is completed and then reapply. Bearing in mind that the RAF may not be recruiting pilots when the treatment is complete and that I will possibly have to resit all of the aptitude tests, which I may not pass again.
I really can't decide what to do. If I was guaranteed a place in the RAF as a pilot, I would have the braces removed without hesitation. It is the fact that I may not be successful and then be left with no braces.

Thanks for your help! I don't just want to join the RAF because I don't know what else to do. I like really really want to! (I'm 18 by the way)