PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - light aircraft maintenance
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 12:14
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last thing I have to ask you is that if you were an LAA inspector fitting a safety critical bolt to an aircraft ( remembering that your family home and liberty are at risk if you get it wrong) what quality assurance would you be happy with ?
As Mr Genghis pointed out. I wouldn't be fitting anything
I would be saying to the constructor....."This bolt with the impressive tag, is fifteen quid,- if it fails, the CAA can issue an alert and maybe , just maybe, recall the rest of the batch....IIRC it happened with Robinson helicopter main-blade bolts cracking....So, it's not an absolute guarantee of quality.......Your alternative is to go to "bloggs engineer's merchants" and buy a box of 100 for six pounds...you should know the BS Spec. for ht fasteners, you shouldknow the strength-coding on the head.....If not, google and learn.....then check the rest o fyour aircraft Your call, you need a dozen, 6p each, no paper trail or 15 quid each" " your life your decision".

But I'm not a LAA inspector, anyway
Were I to bw building, I'd hope the inspector would lead me to make informed choices....As I said before, the certificate is no guarantee of quality, neither is "GKN bs xyz" on the box....but they both have product-liability and therefore , one assumes, insurance for same.
I believe that even the main hang-bolt on a flexwing , has a backup safety strop? The "Jesus bolt" on a heli, doesn't....it goes, you're dead traceability will not help you!

Interesting discussion....I'd love to see a similar stimulus to UK GA, as the American "Experimental" scene, but don't think I'll live to see it happen