PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cranfield crash, 5 June 2013
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 10:49
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another insight from Mr. (not so mad)....or is that "angry?" Jock. And Mr. Genghis.

I have had no official flying -training whatsoever. Yet I think I have a reasonably good grasp of mechanics, physics and aerodynamics, enough to enable me to understand what's going on, and why.

I have made it my business to explore the subjects in some depth. Unfortunately, many people just shut down at the first hint of anything technical...they learn by rote, spew the correct answer out, parrot fashion,but cannot apply the theory to a real-life scenario.

IMHO, it's bloody stupid to have someone spend~45 hours learning and then try to assess their competence to apply that knowledge ina brief flight.
Sure, some will obviously stand out as "natural",capable pilots, some ,like my late mother who took ~17 driving tests ON THE ISLE OF WIGHT before some incompetent fool overruled the examiner and let her loose!.....will never ever be competent and safe.

It seems that everybody is excusing a 200 hour jockey.....the man set himself up as a professional.....It was up to him and his professional integrity, to make sure he absorbed as much expert knowledge of his subject as possible.

The two posters mentioned above both demonstrate this trait. That is why they are respected and important to this Forum....PROFESSIONALS!

I've never met either, but would trust my life to them...couldn't say the same about a guy that can't be bothered to learn the fundamentals of his trade.

A few hours flying a Radio -controlled "toy" would give some of these greenhorns a real insight into aircraft handling, aerodynamics and energy-management.
Since when have the inhabitants of the Belgrano, admitted to incompetence or bad admin?......they never make mistakes, just shuffle the cards and slip in a few jokers periodically....it's for your own good, you know!