PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLIGHT SAFETY article "Twin Trouble"
View Single Post
Old 21st Apr 2003, 20:04
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Awww come on Bik...I put a smilie there

I accept your assertion that the model of IO520 in debate has such a limitation.

The point I make about reducing power on those engines is more to do with harming the engine, long term, than about performance at that specific point of time.

WAGIT

What's wrong with marking blue line, where only one such speed is appropriate for the aircraft and red line similarly?....seems simple to me...and is the accepted industry norm for smaller aircraft.

V1/V2/Vr etc are not appropriate terms for Part 23 aircraft and are not used, or should not be used, in non transport category aircraft.

I would agree that sometimes 'blue line' is relied on too much...the old C402As we had at Talair had a single blue radial speed at 103kts painted inside the ASI but in reality Vyse varied from about 97kts a light weights up to 103 at MTOW. I had one trainee go scooting out over the Bismarck Sea hardly climbing but perfecty under control at 103kts when just he and I were onboard and 97Kts was more appropriate. Amazing how much better we climbed at 97Kts

I find it very interesting that pilots, in general, expect a Baron/Chieftain/C402-4 to crash after an engine failure at say 50- 100' but expect better things from a B90/C441 etc when the certification basis, as far as I'm aware, is the same.

In general terms, for aircraft where the AFM suggests they will fly on one, get the wheels up quick and the likelhood is it will fly on one if you fly it properly...if it won't, for whatever reason, then I think you'll hurt yourself less putting the aircraft down on it's belly near Vmca than you will throwing it back on the ground on it's wheels. About the only places which are really long enough to reland and stop are major capital city airports...I don't think you'd get away with it at BK/JKT/AF etc...more likely to rip out the nosewheel at relatively high speed with all that that may entail.

Chuck.

Edit for Stallie's post.....0.4%, If it makes you feel better do it...if you remember in the heat of the moment, I didn't

BTW real engine failures are almost never the same as training ones...the one I had i the 402 was dead cut/full power/dead cut in rapid succesion- the deathstar was a fire warning and dramatic loss of power followed by shutdown...not at all like a prewarned or at least expected mixture cut at 400' on a renewal.

Last edited by Chimbu chuckles; 21st Apr 2003 at 20:16.