PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2014, 01:50
mickjoebill

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
It is apparent that the INMARSAT data is believed by the Australian, New Zealand and US maritime reconnaissance who are flying out into the middle of nowhere and also by the Chinese who are searching again in potentially reachable areas. I rather doubt that these new searches would be happening due to a PR statement.
More compelling reasons in my view are that OZ public prefer its government does something i.e. "have a go" to find its six Aussies and the rest of the passengers, rather than appear to wait for more conclusive information.

Also there was a Chinese registered vessel ALREADY in the area at the time the search was announced and the SAR could monitor it.

ABC noon news interviewed Aussie Jeff Askew ex Group General Manager Security and Emergency Management at Qantas for 15 years, and formerly with police and defence and Australian Airlines, he now runs a consultancy company, with a "top secret" clearance.

Summary;
He says they probably will find the plane, it may take time.
He couldn't answer questions about Pine Gap but says they wouldn't hold back info.

Last two weeks public have learnt it is more difficult to find a plane than previously thought, the capability is not there.
Says this incident will have ramifications to airlines and manufacturers. Will be driven by what is found to be facts.
Changes could be to airspace management and broad security of it including passports.
Live tracking of flights, passenger screening, change to looking for bad people not just bad things.
Airlines will need to manage threats from inside (pilots) and greater cargo security.

Industry has understood these issues, but were not at forefront of thinking.
Pilots should not be able to close down transponders, so fire issues will need to be addressed.

Says Malaysians Airlines did the best they could then other agencies took over.