PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SDSR 2016?
Thread: SDSR 2016?
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2014, 23:47
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
What "ongoing assault upon the British Armed forces?" One of the largest defence budgets on the face of the planet with some of the most sophisticated and complex weapon systems in existence in the face of an enormous budget deficit and no military threat whatsoever. What kind of "assault" is that?
The fourth largest defence budget in the world - if you believe the politicians, but one that is rapidly heading towards hollow force status thanks to whatever combination of poor contracts, excessive costs, political meddling and senior officer incompetence. Seems a fairly successful assault to most people still serving. Oh and not my words, but borrowed from a former CAS I had dinner with last week who, despite his retired status, remains as sharp as a tack and is equally concerned about the current state of things.

A military coup? There is only one definite outcome of a military coup and that is that you will have committed treason. You will be a traitor
Interesting take on the concept of a coup there. I mean, it's not as if the west has jumped on the bandwagon in recent weeks to champion the overthrow of a democratically elected President. So, hypothetically, what would the difference between the Ukraine and the UK be if the next government tied is closer to Europe against the wishes of the public, and the public forced that government out without another election? A revolution, a coup? Call it what you will, there would be outrage at the subversion of the democratic process, but that's what we are all championing in Ukraine at the moment.

We have a military that will be adequate for our needs ... If we only needed UK home defence, then something between Eire and Austria would do.
And there in lies the nub of the problem. Due to political grand standing and the ready acceptance of the concept of being a force for good, we need to be capable of more than home defence, so what we have isn't really adequate at all if you want to talk about force maintenance and sustainability as well as generation.

Why on earth would anybody in this country want to be run by the military? They can't even run themselves!
I will give you that one though