PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fear of Flying a whole new meaning in the cockpit
Old 19th Mar 2014, 16:49
172_driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in RHS, my experience of fear of flying is the captain's that are reluctant to come anywhere near the company envelope limits, OFDM triggers, fuel leagues, mandatory report events. Some of them are excellent chaps outside the cockpit, but can be quite annoying to fly with. They call out every little deviation with no regard to how natural it may be. Their need to be in control takes over and I can sometimes feel like a third autopilot. Now I won't judge too quickly, because the weight of final responsibility doesn't lie with me.

The above translates into manual flying as well. I've seen some pretty awkward performance and yes, coincidently it's been by the same guys who are discouraging manual flying. I know which captains are confident with me hand flying, and which ones are not. It's a big factor when (if) I decide to click-click, click-click. Again, I don't judge their ability. But I know which ones I rather be with on a dark stormy night. The ones that are confident in me, I find more confidence in as well. We work better together.