PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PRESTWICK
Thread: PRESTWICK
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2014, 14:17
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
subsidising Ryanair's operations ? i dont think ryanair rely on PIK
No but you are well aware PIK rely on Ryanair who can and do insist on paying next to zero and scaring off any new entrants.

Skippy Your talking 20 years ago i wouldnt say that was recent past. Closing passenger ops just wont happen , FACT. There aint enough training, cargo, tech stops or mainteneance to rely on . Please note this is not the 90's.
Socky, I am well aware it's not the 1990s, the market is a lot tougher.... What makes you think passenger operations won't be closed as then, like my dad whenever he was losing, announced his opinion loudy as "FACT"? It is not the reponsibility of the taxpayer to subsidise low cost outbound airline operations, arguably illegal given there's a profitable and commercially viable and similar operation nearby. What's your understanding of PIK's inability to hang onto Wizzair? It's a nonsense that the government can hold onto and underpin a long term loss making business that's having an impact on an actual viable and profitable business in the same market at GLA.
Fair point that you don't like overmanagement, most don't, however there's a much larger strategic issue here. Ryanair's claim to be adding millions to the bottom line around inbound tourism fell apart when they kicked all of that across to EDI and went head to head with GLA for the outbound locals to the sun market.

I am genuinely keen to hear what the real options are, because that terminal is on the verge of falling down and the business needs serious investment to compete for any more passengers at all, and I cannot for the life of me see any return on that money.