PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 19th Mar 2014, 09:13
hihover

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, I can't help feeling that all this talk of zero/zero take-offs is leading us away from, perhaps, a more pertinent topic - flight supervision.

Of course helicopters can take off in zero/zero, something that is practiced in various militaries to provide a solution for certain circumstances, but really, it is not the norm, and is very rarely used in anger.

I was ex-military, now I'm not, and in that interim period as a fully fledged civvy with my own AOC, I was amazed at the things I saw other pilots doing, and the lack of flight supervision from their organisations was always the common denominator. For most military flights, a flight supervisor must be briefed.

The flight supervisor is often the guy who helps the pilot to take certain things into consideration. Things that the pilot may have overlooked in his desire to get airborne. In my mind he is indispensable and I am wondering if some form of flight supervisor may be worth following up, or even do-able in the private aviation world.

Crab - "why would you land again after doing a hover check......" You should know better than to ask a civil question like that mate!!

TM