PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Alan's still not happy......
View Single Post
Old 19th Mar 2014, 08:27
FYSTI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An interesting exchange from Tuesday the 18th hearing.

Senate Hearing 18th March 2014 transcript
(my BOLD)
Senator XENOPHON: That is all I needed to know from you. Mr Joyce, can you please tell me what happened in that four-month period to cause such a massive turnaround in the statements that you made.
Mr Joyce : Mr Evans is going to answer that question.

Senator XENOPHON: No, I would like you to answer it, please.
Mr Joyce : I am happy for Mr Evans to answer it.

Senator XENOPHON: I would like you to answer it.
Mr Joyce : He has the facts.
Mr Evans : The situation is that the two statements are completely consistent with each other. If you go back to that time, the business was recovering from the GFC. This was in February 2011. The GFC hit us in financial year 2009. We began recovering from that in financial year 2010 and recovered further in financial year 2011. The comment that was made on 17 February was around the recovery that the business was seeing. Our yields had improved in that year, but that was a recovery from the GFC, when we saw our yields decline by approximately 25 per cent across the business as a whole. We also said in that 17 February statement, if you read on:
While demand on key international routes continues to improve, the international environment remains challenging. We remain committed to improving the performance of Qantas' international business.
So even on 17 February we called out that there were challenges in the international business. Subsequently, on 22 June, we clarified for the first time—because prior to that we had talked about Qantas in totality—the performance of the international business separately, and subsequent to that we have clarified it more and it is now a separate segment in our financial statements. But the fact that the Qantas business as a whole in that first half of the financial year 2011 made $165 million, which was part of the statement on 17 February, in no way indicated that the international business was making profits.

Senator XENOPHON: Sure, but the share price, as I understand it, fell by about 27 per cent from 17 February to, I think, 23 June. There was a significant decline in the share price in that period—was there not?
Mr Evans : I do not recall the exact share price across that period.

Senator XENOPHON: But there was a drop.
Mr Evans : This is a tough environment and there was a wide range of reasons that the share prices moved.

Senator XENOPHON: That was the first time you advised the market about Qantas international on 22 June 2011?
Mr Evans : That is correct.
CHAIR: I am going to allow you latitude because it is your time, to some extent, but we are here looking at the bill and I think you can only draw a very distant relationship with what you are inquiring about.

Senator XENOPHON: I do not want to burn up time arguing with you, Chair, but the fact is these are relevant matters in terms of considering the bill.
CHAIR: I just draw your attention to the purpose of why we are here, but it is your time.

Senator XENOPHON: And I say that it is relevant to that purpose. Thank you, Chair. From 17 February 2011 to just prior to the announcement on 22 June 2011, did any Qantas group director or executive meet or brief any institutional investors?
Mr Evans : I cannot recall what briefings took place.
Most curious, as Qantas's own monthly traffic statistics don't seem to reflect any problem Internationally. To me they don't seem to reflect a decline in yield in the International side of the business (both QFI and J*I). Domestic yes, but not International, yet QF International was apparently the source of the problems in June.

Jan 2011 Monthly traffic statistics
Total International (Qantas and Jetstar International
operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the
financial year to January 2011 increased by 11.1 percent

when compared to the corresponding prior year
period.
Feb 2011 Monthly traffic statistics
operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the financial year to February 2011 was 10.2 percent higher
when compared to the corresponding prior year

period.
Mar 2011 Monthly traffic statistics
operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the financial year to March 2011 was 9.3 percent higher when
compared to the corresponding prior year period

Apr 2011 Monthly traffic statistics
otal International (Qantas and Jetstar International operations) yield excluding foreign exchange for the financial year to April 2011 was 8.7 percent higher when
compared to the corresponding prior year period.
May 2011 Monthly traffic statistics
International (Qantas International, Jetstar International
and Jetstar Asia operations) yield excluding foreign
exchange for the financial year to May 2011 was 8.4 percent
higher
when compared to the corresponding prior year period.
Maybe I need to fix my faulty calculator!