PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Mar 2014, 23:18
Tandemrotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My word.

I find myself agreeing strongly with Shy, Thomas and crab. But understand where SAS is coming from. Whether tail rotor roll is significant in a 'vertical' climb or not, is up for debate. (Unless of course you are flying a CH46/47 or Kamov!) Seems obvious to me to establish a hover attitude first, but if a large organisation has a different technique, then fair enough! Most importantly as Shy has alluded to, is that the incident in question was NOT a Public Transport flight. It was Private, and so in just the same way as military flying, there is no criteria for how the aircraft must perform having lost an engine at a critical moment.

There are ways of launching into shallow fog at an 'ad hoc' site, in private or military ops, but those techniques don't require any performance guarantees. Those techniques would likely not be legal for Public Transport.

I have no idea if that was significant in this case?

From the little that is known, perhaps a 'helipad' type take off was attempted? In weather that possibly wasn't entirely suitable? On the other hand, perhaps that is complete fantasy?