PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 18th Mar 2014, 22:24
[email protected]

Received 623 Likes on 271 Posts
SAS - I did read you post and this is what you said
The US Army did much the same except we did all takeoffs from the ground after doing the Hover Check.
it is the 'after doing the Hover Check' part I am questioning.

Even in cloud or fog, you can still see enough to get the aircraft to a low hover using external references which will be far safer than trying to do it purely on instruments. Are you sure you didn't peek just a little bit doing these under the hood?

There is no problem going from external to internal references because you are doing it in a premeditated manner in a stable condition.

Since you will need to be in the hover attitude for the first 100' going straight up it seems far more sensible to be stable in that attitude before you pull climbing power - that is not exactly skids light because that would still be wings level (assuming level ground). If you mean you ease the aircraft up to a hover attitude with the back of one skid still on the ground then you might as well be properly in the hover at 1 or 2'.

I have taught a 'from the ground' instrument take off but only for dust/snow conditions where you are in the dust/snow cloud as soon as you raise the lever.

Your technique doesn't seem to match either a dust/snow departure or a fog/cloud takeoff.