PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 19:32
YouNeverStopLearning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for B777 pilots. Sorry if this has already been discussed but there are too many pages to read:
I don't know this particular airspace.
If this aircraft suffered a total or substantial electrical failure, this being at night, would any of the actions documented or released so far be reasonable?
This is a substantially electrical aircraft and the "10 to the power of whatever" event that is a total electrical failure at night can occur.
Turn back is is understandable, but they didn't quite make it round to anywhere near to 180 degrees...
I wonder how well light up the Southern Thailand peninsula is?
Was it a moonlight night?
What was the cloud situation that night?
Is it easy to read the wet compass on a B777?
How long can the batteries sustain the Standby Instruments if the electrical failure removes any charging to the batteries or power to the emergency bus? 30 minutes? I.E. having a RAT did not help...
Is there a scenario where a forced landing on the sea might not create sufficient G-force to automatically trigger the ELT, yet still power the "ping" to the satellite the press are going on and on and on and on about?
If the forced landing was at the limit of the fuel endurance range to the South or SW, would anyone detect the 30 day DFDR transmission, from the deap sea? and if the ELT was not triggered, is there any other kit that floats that could be used by crew manually from either floating in the sea in lifejackets or in liferafts/slides?