PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 16:30
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife's job with the NHS means she can also be re-located.
And if Scotland becomes independent?

Having a dream is one thing, the harsh realities of Commercial life is something else.
As a semi-skilled factory worker,I earned promotion, I became a mobile service-engineer....Car, Expenses, Telephone.....as a 22 year old singleton, it was great...suit and tie (smallish medical equipment) good pay...... Change of circumstances saw me managing a shop....from there, I was again promoted....big "patch" included all Eireland and all Scotland...again, I lived in hotels all week, saved a lot of cash.....but theliving out of a suitcase palls....the fast-food Grill lunch/Dinner becomes monotonous.....the propping up the bar, with a load of other dispossessed souls.......
Yes! I stayed in Aberdeen and Peterhead, before and during the boom......met a Heli pilot....hadto tell Reception where he was, 24/7 He could go to the pictures, but was always aware there could be a PA to get to the airport NOW he couldn't drink either! boredom wasdriving him nuts, despite the generous pay.
starting a family was my decider I took a calculated risk and went into the Motor trade 20% down and blagged a loan for the rest....
you have a wonderful head-start, an established business.

I'd suggest, firstly, as you are being handed it, learn to MANAGEit
makeyour days shorter, delegate, make the time you invest more profitable.

Then you'll be able to have a good income, see your kids growing up (that time flashes by!) and you'll be able to take the odd day off to learn to fly.
At the moment, it's not a healthy carreer option to be a NS pilot...If you really are obsessed with the notion, despite the cautionary tales from those here, who inhabit those shoes you aspire to, Sort out the family business....it's your money -tree...cultivate it, harvest the fruit and use it to support your family and dreams. the two are not mutually exclusive. if you manage properly, the business will virtually run itself and will still be there as security if the flying job doesn't continue
(but by then you'll have a huge pilot's pension and a very successful Garage business for your retirement fund!

I see a goose and a golden egg....DON'T KILL THE GOOSE!