PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 14:38
SASless

Received 516 Likes on 215 Posts
Or say.....Port Harcourt, Saudi, Fouchon Louisiana, Unst, or any number of places spring to mind for that matter.

28 is not old.....and not too old.

One measure might be to remember the age limits for working as a Commercial Pilot, the Pension one can earn in the time one is working, the portability of the Pension, the cost of moves from Job to Job as one works up that Totem Pole of experience, ratings, and flight hours.

Add to that the constant worry of losing One's license on medical grounds and the situation that provides should it happen then this flying thing becomes even more of a "risky" business.

It is not an easy or simple decision to make especially with a wife and children to consider.

Those of us who advise careful consideration and deliberation have been accused of negative thinking and of being members of the "Yellow Jacket" Brigade.....yet everyone of us are relating our own experiences from a position well down that road of life.

We were asked our views and we provided them.

Two days ago I advised a 32 Year Old Female Army Helicopter Pilot to get her Fixed Wing Licenses and aim for an Airline Job here in the United States. She is single, childless, a current Army Aviator, and can convert her Military experience to Civilian Ratings under our "Military Competency" procedure. Her out of pocket costs will be almost "Nil" as she qualifies for what is known as the "GI Bill" which will pay for her Civilian Flight Training. Even then, I have advised her to have very real second thoughts about her original goal of becoming a Civilian Helicopter Pilot. Helicopter flying is becoming a better choice of professions in aviation but it still does not compare with Airline Flying in roster, pay, pension, and loss of license insurance.

I am sure 44 will make an enlightened decision.....and wish him well in whatever he decides.

Last edited by SASless; 18th Mar 2014 at 14:51.