PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turning direct to with no SID published
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 11:54
noox89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LookingForAJob,

it is rather unusual to fly to airports under IFR without any SID. Yes you get all these in ATPL (FYI it takes like 15 minutes to get all the charts out and plot it in), but for a jetliner which performance varies widely with engine derate, assumed temperature and take-off weight you check your performance in the FMC.

To answer the OEI: this is designed by ops department, if there is no obstacle ahead and OEI performance allows you to continue straight ahead then you continue RWY track, if there is obstacle penetrating your OEI flight path an emergency turn is designed. In the case of NDR there is no emergency turn and in case of EFATO you continue straight ahead from RWY 08.

I have created this Thread to ask about legal point of view as I couldn't find any reference to that. In that particular example we flew RWY track to 7100ft which is the MSA and than we started the turn which in my point of view doesn't seem to be the most efficient departure either, but for sure it is the safest one and doesn't leave any doubt that we will clear all obstacles. I was more questioning the departure clearance which was kind of suggesting to turn ASAP to ALM.