PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic degree, is it ultimately important?
Old 18th Mar 2014, 10:14
mezzanaccio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I find this thread very helpful, as I find myself in a very similar situation.
I have obtained a B.Sc. in Aerospace Engineering (they call it aerospace, but it's basically aeronautical) right after school. Back then I didn't really know what it would be like to study let alone work as an engineer, I did it because I wanted to get a degree and of course I wanted it in the field I am passionate about: aviation. So I gave it a shot and it turned out well. I will always thank university for having given me the chance to study mathematics and physics to an advanced level. It's just not something you end up achieving in your free time.
Now, after having almost completed my first semester of the M.Sc. and being a handful of years older I am starting to ask myself what I want to do for a profession. And as much as I found and still find most of what I study extremely interesting, this academic course is just preparing me for a job I am not longing for.
Now I feel it is time to pursue my real dream and go on getting the flight licences. Exactly as Genghis said, there is no point in studying for a degree without a real passion for it, and this is exactly how I feel.
And spare your warnings, I have this and many other threads more than once
Thanks to all for your posts