PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 09:43
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
The difference is that at the flying school it is no big secret that the "airline sponsored" cadets get the best flying and ground instructors
as well as preference for training aircraft.
Not necessarily true they got the best instructors but definitely got priority for bookings when Jetstar imposed deadlines come up, shafting Bachelor students.

So Morno - you were one of the lucky 5% who managed to get an airline job over past couple of years - how impressive you truly are , you beat all the RAAFIES with their instructor backgrounds , ADFA degrees etc etc. Sure you did
Come on mate, next time you are sitting around chatting to other FOs, ask them about their backgrounds. Plenty of GA guys there. The airlines aren't just for 'RAAFies' and cadets.

When you take an objective look at the numbers - a % chance equal to the fingers on one hand after a decade of employment instability, $100K training debt, systematic underpayment, living in the outback, massive lost opportunity cost - I think you be a mug to sign up for that program.
OK, point taken. You wouldn't be a pilot if you couldn't get a cadet scheme. I decided going through GA was worth it. It's a choice you have to make in life and just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others shouldn't.

I think most of you guys have a hatred of these programs because you are well aware that one cadet joining means one less place for a direct entry and you are starting to realize that your aspiration to fly a jet for a major airline will not be achieved.
How many times do we have to say it? We don't hate cadets. In fact I regularly grab a beer with a number of cadet pilots. Now I wouldn't grab a beer with you personally but that's not because of you being a cadet.