PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 08:00
DespairingTraveller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "evidence", that this accident has a "criminal" background is so rediculously "thin", I really donīt understand this whole discussion.
Quite. As far as I understand events, the "criminal" interpretation all stems from a statement (by the Malaysian PM?) that ACARS and transponders were deliberately switched off.

As far as ACARS is concerned, this was subsequently clarified to confirm that an expected transmission simply did not occur. I don't think anything has been said about the transponder.

Absent a deliberate switch-off, it's difficult to see what has been confirmed so far that is inconsistent with an (as yet not understood) mechanical or electrical failure, possibly a fire, which culminated in loss of crew, after they had attempted a turn back to attempt a landing somewhere. The aircraft then flying on in whatever condition of autopilot or trim it was left in, until it met its end at fuel exhaustion. It's happened before.

And even a deliberate switch-off doesn't prove criminal intent...

And yet the entire world seems now to be gripped in a fever of speculation and hysteria about mysterious cargoes, government plots, hyper-terrorists, concealed landing strips, terrain-hugging airliners and Bond-like super-villains - presumably stroking white cats in high tech conference rooms!

I don't get it.

Last edited by DespairingTraveller; 18th Mar 2014 at 09:09. Reason: add clarification