PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Academic degree, is it ultimately important?
Old 18th Mar 2014, 01:22
Focha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Focha

I have to disagree. Firstly, getting a degree does not guarantee employment as a backup. A lot of graduates are finding it really tough to find jobs these days unless they take a highly sought after course (engineering, med ect). I know i wouldn't be able to get into any of those courses and they would be too hard basket anyway. It also means more money now course prices are so high, i don't know where you got your money from, but not everyone can afford to go to uni then get their cpl. Where i come from i got my first job without showing a Cv, its just who you no and working hard in this industry. Also i don't understand your point on personal development, i hear it come up a lot but in what ways does drinking and messing about at uni (as most of my friends do) develop you more than working full time and living away from home?

winglikehercules
@winglikehercules
You are probably right, getting a degree does not necessarily means a guarantee of employment, sorry if I simplified the subject to that point, obviously you need a lot more than the degree. Although you have to agree it's a lot more easier to find good jobs and progress in the career, even as a pilot. That's why we make a CV or else we would only send a copy of hour log book.
I could also tell you the same about the CV. But ultimately, they will ask you for it if you want to progress and do different stuff.
Now, about the personal development, I never compared the two situations, what I can tell you is that if you use the university as it should be used, you will develop yourself for sure. I am, by no means implying that working full time and away from home does not develop a person also; for me that was what developed me the most and I can say without a question that part of my opinion today is related to the fact that I am working full time and way from home. Please don't get me wrong.

I continue to think that doing a degree for the sake of having a degree is a poor life choice. Doing a degree for a passion in the subject, or for a life plan that has more than *just* flying in it however can make perfectly good sense.
@Genghis the Engineer
You are totally right. Maybe I express myself badly. The more I learn, the more I get into subjects of aeronautical engineer, the more I understand about it the more passionate I am about it. Unfortunately, for all the reasons, I was not able to continue what I am accomplishing today, that is, finishing my degree. Agree with your post.

Focha, you're far too good to be a pilot. Finish that degree and get a job in industry on the technical design side. The degree will be a passport whenever you need to change jobs all the way through life. I can fully recommend aero engineering as a career, every year you get to work on something new, challenging and different.
@henry_crun
You are right, sometimes a pilot's life just halts, seems that you are not progressing at all... And I have a really big necessity of learning and not stall in front of a monitor, if you know what I mean.

All in all, my opinion: a degree is important, for all kind of reasons.

Regards.