PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge.
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2014, 00:49
Focha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its interesting that every time SASless writes, I very much agree with him.

Opinion of an intelligent man with the background and experience to support his ideas and opinions.

I totally agree with him. The difference is that he has more than 30 times the experience I have.

So, from a person who has paid the CPL (H) plus IR (H) and that have been working in the industry for about 3 years, I can tell you the following:

1. Stick with what you do now, make aviation a hobby. Even if you don't have the money to fly helicopters, try planes. You will not regret it.

2. Not everything that seems to shine do actually shine as it seems. In my short life as professional helicopter pilot I can tell you that 80% (or even more) of the time you will not do what you thought you would do.

As SASless wrote, I also could give you a great number of good arguments for not becoming a professional helicopter pilot, maybe I also have some scars, some still fresh, of the learning process, either by the good and/or bad examples.

So, my advice, be with your family, stay with your wife and raise your children, enjoy having your own business, managing your life and not being constantly managed and you will find that your dream is still achievable, I personally think that everyone should start with a PPL and not going directly to CPL/ATPL, try PPL, not as much money as CPL and a lot more fun, I am sure.

Personally the most intelligent way of being in aviation, make it a hobby. Some may not agree with me. Lucky those...

Regards.