PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2014, 22:03
SASless

Received 518 Likes on 216 Posts
One Man's Opinion.....as much as I endorse living One's Dream.....in this case I would encourage you to staying away from being a professional helicopter pilot....for any number of very good reasons.

In the long run.....if you are anywhere as intelligent and talented as you appear to be....you did have the very good sense to ask advice from others in the profession.....you should be able to do very well at your current profession.

Use your abilities and head start in life and use that as a vehicle to do recreational flying of all sorts....Gliders, Airplanes, and perhaps helicopters in time. Go when the weather is right, to places you wish to go to, and with people you wish to go with.

Raise your Children, provide for them, be a good Husband.....and find that compromise between living your Dream and enjoying what you are being given.

I walked away from a family business.....turned down an opportunity to fly for the Airlines.....and decided not to attend Law School.

Over 12,000 Hours flying time....mostly in helicopters....I would not do it again. The Military paid for my training....although the Apprenticeship left some scars....so I did not wind up in debt to accomplish obtaining my certifications.

I loved Glider flying....and enjoyed Airplane flying. Helicopter flying ultimately became just a way of making a living.

The time to make your decision is when you are sat at the Dinner Table looking at your Children.....do what is best for them and you cannot go wrong.