PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Taking the plunge.
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2014, 19:54
triumph44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taking the plunge.

Right, I know I should maybe be looking on the 'so you want to become a helicopter pilot' thread to find some answers, but I'm wanting some honest feedback from current heli pilots to give me a better idea.

Im 28 years old from the UK and it's always been a lifelong dream to become a helicopter pilot, and after recently taking some lessons has confirmed this! I'm currently a qualified retained firefighter and HGV mechanic working within a family business earning a decent wage and with the imminent handover of the successful family business to myself, the problem is that I cannot imagine myself doing this job for the rest of my working life and cannot shake off the continuing thought of becomming a pilot. I also have a wife and 2 young daughters.

I currently have the opportunity to loan the necessary funds from a family member to complete my helicopter training (to include JAA cpl with atpl theory + ME IR). My main objective is to become a pilot in the North Sea, but my questions are:

- Is the position I am in with a family and future business worth the gamble to pursue a lifelong dream and become a helicopter pilot?

- What are the realistic chances of gaining a job offshore with low hours?

Thanks.