PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calling all B777-300 pilots flying into Heathrow
Old 21st Apr 2003, 02:07
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Calling all B777-300 pilots flying into Heathrow

Hey guys,

Not 100% sure if this is the best place for this, but I guess more of y'all probably check this Forum than the ATC. And if it gets moved, I tried.

A question about the B777-300's (mainly the Emerates guys, but if more and more start turning up, this may be on other ATCO's minds, so please ANY input will be appreciated) coming into Heathrow. After discussions between myself and co-workers, as well as Instructions from NATS "Powers that be", I feel there is a little confusion as to what you drivers would like from us with regards to speed control.

We have been briefed to expect 777's maintain a higher speed inside 4 miles from touchdown and make allowances for this (especially if following a 757!). However, the confusion lies in what sort of speeds you guys are comfortable with at a late downwind/base leg position. I have had more than one occasion where slowing one from 230kts to 180 (A/c passing about 5000ft, just before a base leg turn to allow for wind), and been informed with a "We are a 777-300" and left to wonder exactly why my instruction has got this reply (and without the time to ask!!!).

Also, as I mentioned, we understand the speed thing on final approach inside 4 miles, but at what distance out would a request of 160kts till 4 DME cause problems (eg 5/6 a/c on final approach all back at 160kts and the 777 at the back!).

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated, and will be passed on to others at EGLL Approach.

Thanks in advance,
J