PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AW139 G-LBAL helicopter crash in Gillingham, Norfolk
Old 17th Mar 2014, 15:43
Pittsextra

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
How do you weed out these captains who show poor airmanship in a scenario similar to the thread we are posting in?? It seems almost binary to me. Either the flight goes without a hitch and who is any the wiser (remembering that the pax might and likely not have a clue re: aviation) OR it ends in a big mess and at that point its done.

Walking out and then having the accident happen to the replacement isn't your fault but then its also not being faithful to doing the utmost to prevent these situations.

I'll give you a recent "for example", recently an AW109 ended in a slight state after the pilot tried to put down in a field and misjudged things. That was down to grubbing around in poor weather. I'm not sure if he has learnt his lesson or not but you can be sure that if one waits for an AAIB report to modify behaviour it might be too late to learn anything.

I give that example because people who post here know the aircraft and pilot.

That kind of thing in the outside world is commonly known as turning a blind eye.