PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NATO F-34 (JP-8) in a Thielert/Centurion 2.0?
Old 17th Mar 2014, 12:31
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NATO F-34 (JP-8) in a Thielert/Centurion 2.0?

From the Robin Ecoflyer POH:

FUELS

CAUTION: If non-approved fuels are used, this may lead to dangerous engine malfunctions.
Fuel: ........................................................JET A-1 (ASTM 1655)
Alternative: ................................................ Diesel (DIN EN 590)

I'm now involved in planning a trip to a military base who can provide NATO F-34 (JP-8) but no Jet-A1 or Diesel. According to a Google search F-34 is almost, but not quite the same as Jet A-1. F-34 has one or two additives added but the basic composition looks to be the same. But I don't know enough about organic chemistry to make an educated guess on whether these additives may be harmful.

So does anybody know whether F-34 can be used in the Thielert/Centurion 2.0 or not, and has the references to back that up?

Furthermore, the bowser that normally supplies us with Jet-A has a typical nozzle, different from an Avgas nozzle, but which works OK in the Ecoflyer. Does anybody know if F-34 is supplied through yet another nozzle type which might possibly not fit in the fuel pipe of a Robin Ecoflyer? Any other potential issues? (Just trying to cover all bases here.)

(I know we should probably contact the manufacturer about this, but getting a response here will probably be a lot quicker.)