PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2014, 11:30
FE Hoppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HazelNuts39

I am just an occasional visitor of this thread looking for any substantial development in this mysterious disappearance.

Can someone please explain to me the origin of the 'corridors'?

I understand that the red circle represents the distance between the airplane and the satellite at the time of the last 'ping'. I suppose there is another circle centered on the position of the aircraft at the last radar contact, and a radius equal to the distance flown in the time between the last radar contact and the last ping. So the last possible positions of the aircraft are the two intersections of these two circles or somewhere in between. Why would the airplane proceed from these points along the red circle?
You're better off staying away.

However,
The there is no inference that the aircraft proceeded along the red line. The red line simply plots all the possible positions at the time of last ping.
The extremes of the line are based on range from last known position and I assume they are now wind corrected and take into account possible fuel remaining at time of last ping.

There is some confusion now over the gap in the middle as the explanation given at todays press briefing is what we would call "bobbins" in my part of the world.

Last edited by FE Hoppy; 17th Mar 2014 at 12:00.