PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 17th Mar 2014, 00:20
SASless

Received 510 Likes on 212 Posts
TR,

A question came to mind after reading your posts and those of Anfi's.

I have far more twin time than single....have done the Police thing in both single and twins (if you accept Nuclear Security to be much the same as Police work)....and have had engine failures in both kinds of helicopter.

Very few Police Forces in the USA operate Twins......most rely upon Singles.

Our Police forces also generally promote Police Officers from the Squad Car to the Helicopter job....thus they have experienced Police Officers but in-experienced Pilots. Perhaps that is why the Single Engine helicopter is so common...along with the cost issue.

So...to the question.....Why do you suggest.... "Twins are the very, very least the Public deserve?".

Singles are pretty reliable these days.....and as we have seen....Twins land on top of the "Public" too.

Is there some empirical data somewhere that supports the benefit of the Twin over the Single in Police work?

Understand....I would fly a four engined helicopter if one was made as I like the idea of lots of engines so I am not trying to argue against your view.....just wondering if you are aware of any reliable studies that show the accident rates for Singles are worse than for Twins in Police work?

I will search the ALEA web site to see if they have anything.

The UK Law requires Twins....but the American FAA does not.

That will play a role in what types of aircraft are represented in the studies.