PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can we have your husband's salary back please?
Old 20th Apr 2003, 18:25
FOMere2eternity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tigs,

I've been wondering how to address welfare issues for a long time now and a federation is the only long-term measure that would keep servicemen's concerns in the spotlight. Unfortunately, the media take temporary interest in sensational stories (widow and pay, melting boots etc.), so they're not much use. I honestly believe that in today's harsh financial world the Forces obedience is being used to save cash - or worse, cover up problems that have/may cause someone to die.

Folks like AMPLT, RAFA, SSAFA et al simply don't have the teeth to get airtime with those who can change things - both at day-to-day unit level or with the policy makers - and there is an increasing gulf between shop floor and the hierarchy. Put quite simply, the framework isn't in place for problems to go up, explanations for strange decisions to go down (even those at the top are told to just cope) or any form of communication that doesn't involve filling in a complaint such as QR1001.

Federation may be the wrong word, but a body such as the AFPRB, who can ask questions in the right places - who can actually be contacted with grievances - might be the way forward. Oh and before someone suggests using the Commons Select Committee, that's not realistic when it comes to day-to-day fairly trivial moans (can't get kit, can't get a quarter, have been on 48hrs standby for 2 years solid etc.), but it's pointless spending millions recruiting if Bloggs is going to leave, disenchanted, 6 months later because quality of life is so poor.

We have a Drugs, Bullying, Equal Ops helpline, so as a start, how about having a 'I'm getting treated like crap' hotline ?
(I'm sure some PR company can come up with a catchy name)

Unless a federation was independent (as opposed to Flt Lt Smith having the secondary duty of Fed Rep), it will probably be a poodle, but the principle, for both the Service and the individual, can only be a good thing.