PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2014, 19:26
RetiredBA/BY

Received 45 Likes on 17 Posts
After AF 447, two years to find the FDR and CVR, this must surely be a pivotal time to re-appraise FDRs. If pax can phone home from the A/c anywhere in the world, and connect to the internet, its high time that FDR data (including GPS/IRS position) was streamed via ACARS using satcom. to a ground station.

Technology and electronics has moved on from the FDRs of old so lets have a complete revision of FDR requirements. MH370, like AF 447, HAS to be found, but is going to be one helluva job.

.........and no I am NOT an amateur, 10,000 hrs plus in the LHS of various ETOPS and non ETOPS Boeings, a former company FSO and twice vice chairman of the UK Flight Safety Committee, tells me that we HAVE to change thinking AND equipment after these two incidents. The technology is there, we need to embrace it.

Will MH370 be found ? well a BSAA Tudor, Star Tiger, disappeared without trace and another BSAA aircraft, a Lancastrian IIRC, was not found for almost 50 years. (yes I know things have moved on BUT !!

The Indian Ocean is very large and very deep.

I am not expecting a swift resolution to this bizarre situation.

Last edited by RetiredBA/BY; 16th Mar 2014 at 19:43.