PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2014, 18:41
RatherBeFlying

Received 39 Likes on 18 Posts
Admittedly the Malaysian military radar operators did not bring their top game to the 0 dark 30 shift -- and yes, targeting assets to the T7 when it was still in range might have shed more light on the situation.

But remember that an interceptor has limited range and would have to head back home for gas.

Something with longer range would have to be dispatched, but most maritime patrol aircraft are turboprops and at best could only hope to pick up a blip receding at max range. However an interceptor or patrol aircraft might possibly have given us a track to work from.

With that track, other countries could have been put on a timely alert along with some indication of where the T7 would be.

The SAR authorities have been doing their best with very limited information. It took several days for the engineers to develop arcs from the 8:11 ping.

Perhaps it takes that much more time to work out arcs from the earlier pings, but yes, we would like to see all of them. Once those arcs are produced, there's a bunch more work to work out possible courses. It would not surprise me if some heavily caffeinated programmers are busy developing and testing code.

On a personal note, I had once developed some code to speed up transaction rates in a pseudo-reentrant environment. The first test in a single thread environment worked and I went off on an extended weekend to hear on return from my supervisor that my new code was in production.

I immediately told him that the multi thread test had not been done. We held our breath waiting to see if Data Control found the transaction counts off at the end of the day.

They did not complain -- because the person who did the check was off work. A few days later customers began complaining that their deposits had been lost. A few seeing that their large withdrawal had not been posted helped themselves to the extra money and were not seen again

Lots of holes in the Swiss cheese anytime there's a complex human endeavor.