PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where does the UK/JAR "twin only" mentality come from?
Old 16th Mar 2014, 18:40
AnFI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BOAC:
"AnFi - why am I reminded of hen's teeth? What do YOU think 'OEI' stands for?"

It stands for One Engine Inoperative - I would have thought you would know that! and I don't know; why are YOU reminded of hen's teeth? (of all strange things)

I would have thought it a matter of fairly elementary arithmetic that if you are OEI in a single, things become very simple, you are landing. Like North Sea Helicopters are also going to need to be able to do, nowdays!

Carrying floats in NS is an admission that two engines do not deliver imunity from immediate forced landing.

Just curious Democritus but ref "The second engine took me 75 minutes from literally the middle of the northern North Sea to safety onshore on a black, snowy, windy, winter's Sunday night." did the first engine in your OEI become Inoperative due to catastrophic failure, or was it shut down due chip light or some such other reason?
Do you think your forced water landing (that was averted by having a spare engine on board) would have been fatal or just severely inconvenient?
Of course just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean that there will not have been some successes from it, but there are failures of the theory also (see thread topic). And anyway I am all in favour of NS helicopters using the twin principle ( it certainly extracts more money from the oil companies) but it has got to stop becoming rampant mania onshore where it is almost pointless if not obviously counterproductive. It certainly seems to NEVER have worked during the 'CAT A TakeOff Phase' according to polls I have carried out on PPrune...

(please forgive thread creep to NS, but it is clear that twins do not deliver the upside claimed, and that is 'on topic', 1x10-9 is not true)