PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment
Old 16th Mar 2014, 18:39
cleared2fl340

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Brainiarc7 - Frozen ATPL

I believe that in Kenya you can only start sitting for your ATPL papers when you have over 750 hours. I think the actual ATPL license is after 1000 hours - I stand to be corrected.

You cannot therefore convert SACAA Frozen ATPL to Kenyan frozen ATPL. That concept does not really exist.
You'll have to convert to CPL ME-IR first unless you have 750 - 1000 hours. You must then keep your SACAA license valid and current until you attain the required hours and then apply for the conversion .....

I stand to be corrected.

Cost of conversion depends on what license you come with what license you want to convert to ...
Try and come with 240 actual flight hours. This should include 25 hours on a twin, out of which, 15 of those hours are actual instrument hours (on the twin).
You can do your instructor rating as well and include these in the 240.
If you have money, throw in a caravan rating ....

You can fly the additional 10 hours in the Kenyan airspace (Sometimes pilots are told that they must fly for at least 10 hours locally).
KCAA will tell you what to do when you present your foreign license to them. So go there first thing ....

Aviation is expensive, I suggest you have at least 600k, just in case KCAA or a flight School demands that you to fly more than you anticipated.
If you do what I've suggested, it might cost you much less......

Last edited by cleared2fl340; 16th Mar 2014 at 18:59. Reason: Cost question was not answered .....