PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there anthing to be gained by using a flight simulator?
Old 16th Mar 2014, 15:49
thing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my niece's boyfriend, an ardent flight simmer, out for a long flight and taught him the subtleties of turning. eventually he was flying figure eights through his prop wash.
his comment after landing "The sim is nothing like a real aeroplane".
It's not supposed to be though is it. It's a bit of entertainment that's all, which if you are choosy about which bits you use can be of use to a pilot. People who become immersed in the sim world (and I have nothing against that at all) perhaps can loose sight of the fact that it's not actually almost like the real thing. It's nothing like the real thing. At all.

I give the software guys their due, some of the cockpits in add on aircraft are fantastic other than they aren't covered with bits of old chocolate and salt from bags of crisps and the paint is still fresh. It's the actual flying experience that is totally unrealistic, and as I've already said, how can it be realistic? The only way to make it realistic is to climb into an aircraft and do it.