PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Favourite Aircraft or Favourite Training Aircraft?
Old 16th Mar 2014, 09:57
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tecman
Forgot to agree with SP that PA38's are under-appreciated. Sadly, the spar issues will probably see them die off quietly. Oh, and also forgot those fantastic Lancairs.....

Once you go bubble canopy, it's hard to go back to an enclosed cabin - claustrophobia sets in. And in many of the better bubble designs, the pilot sits pretty well forward of the wing, so the view below is good and, of course, the view around is superb. You can use deployable sunscreens if you want but even that starts to impinge on your view of the world after a while - so a pump pack of SPF50 lotion in the hangar is my preferred solution.

But flying verandahs are useful, too. Keeps the rain off while you're loading up. Allows the tent to be pitched under the wing. Used to be good for supporting Cessna barn-door flaps until the lawyers got involved and crippled the new models.

No one aeroplane is all things for all missions. But it's fun to keep looking!
Meh, its people like you that are going to cost me money!!! Since I decided on the 172, I hear so many good things about the PA28. I really would like to have a go on one, but the flight school was chosen and they dont have any. If I ever get through my training, I have promised myself I am going to go get type checked on a PA28...