PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLIGHT SAFETY article "Twin Trouble"
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2003, 12:37
compressor stall

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts
I have not read said article yet (its probably still chasing me around the country).

Similar to above, my procedure for a light piston twin is:

1. Full power prior to Brakes Release for shorter runways (if surface permits, if not use add an acceleration distance buffer for the TODR, or go out to the thresholdand clear an area of stones under each prop with a broom, board or shoe!)

2. Rotate at recommended flight manual speed

3. When airborne and accelerating in ground effect, retract the gear

4. Accelerate towards best ANGLE of climb Multi Engine (this speed varies with weight and presssure alt - check flight manual)

5. Accelerate when clear of obstacles to best RATE of climb Multi Engine (this speed also varies with weight and pressure alt)

6. Retract flap soon after a positive rate of climb is identified (depends on the aircraft whether to retract during the acceleration to Vx or delay it. Read the performance charts to see what they are predicated on).

7. Climb to a safe height (Circuit height in VMC or LSALT in IMC) at Multi Engine Best RATE of climb.

8. Reduce to cruise climb power/settings speeds.

The basic philosophy is converting all the excess thrust and power (depending on the climb out phase) into height. ANY speed in excess of the manufacturers recommendation (in that mysterious book called the flight manual) will incur excess drag. This drag is wasted energy!

The author of said article can have his excess energy wasted in drag. I will keep mine all in height. Its more useful when things go wrong....

**There was a detailed pprune thread about this in early 2000 after I was thrown a C402 and sent out bush. I started asking questions and got no straight answers, and came on here and was told by both Tinny and Gaunty the above... The thread has disappeared into the PPrune ether though.

Last edited by compressor stall; 20th Apr 2003 at 12:48.