PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Dynamics: Gyroscopic Precession
Old 16th Mar 2014, 01:09
busdriver02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blain,

servo transparency is a case of the hydraulic servos being incapable of handling the change in load when a rotor system approaches retreating blade stall due to load factor. What I mentioned about coning roll is very real and I've demonstrated it to my students on a routine basis, in an aircraft that has no issues with servo transparency.

In summation and my final foray into this thread: Angular momentum must of course be conserved, but to claim that a non-rigid rotor system behaves like a gyro violates all sort of assumptions that gyroscopic precession is based on (heedm said the same thing explicitly). If we want to simplify things for students, the aerodynamic forces are the predominate factor and what must be addressed for the non-designer level of discussion. If you want to delve deeper, you need to be prepared to understand Prouty's book, and all the equations that go with it and the fact that there are a multitude of factors that play into rotor dynamics and they don't always play nice.