PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONG RANGE SAR
Thread: LONG RANGE SAR
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2014, 23:10
Lima Juliet

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Oh do keep up 007...

Typhoons doing SAR? Absolutely f'ing hilarious
When did I say that Typhoons would do the whole SAR thing. I'm just saying that if you want some eyes and ears in a disaster area quick then UK QRA can be used - this would be the first part of the Search. However, just like the Grimrod, there is no possibility of Rescue!!!

I've been asked to go look for missing sailing boats and an Army Patrol in the Falklands in a Tornado. At the end of the day, if someone is in trouble you would use any available asset to help. I seem to remember that a CASTLE class did the rescue of the sailing boat and that the Army Patrol that we found was picked up by a Chinook.

Oh, and the authorisation is broad and planning is done 'on the hoof' on QRA for a variety of missions. In days of old there were 2 in the jet doing it, but these days just one - however the FCs on frequency provide valuable resource for airborne replanning!

Yes, Wensleydale, I agree wholeheartedly. However, if we had an airliner go down mid Atlantic, I suspect that the NAEW FC would authorise an E-3 to be there pretty sharpish.

LJ

Last edited by Lima Juliet; 16th Mar 2014 at 00:38.