PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Moderators - dictators of taste?
View Single Post
Old 20th Apr 2003, 07:33
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
SASless,

Yes, maybe so. But then none of us have the time to devote to delving into the background behind every issue, and though I spent the best part of three years studying the modern history of the Middle East at Uni, I recognise that I did no more than scratch the surface. I try to reject both left- and right-wing media drivel, while contributing plenty of drivel of my own.....

If we were both Brits, it would be far easier for you to understand where I come from politically. I could rattle off a handful of names of politicians whose views are close to mine (or even tell you which newspaper I read every day) and voila, you could pigeon hole me beautifully (and quite accurately). But left and right, and liberal, seem to mean very different things in our two countries. Over here, our right wing party dropped economic conservatism back in the 70s, and since then have been radical free market Manchester liberals, while the ostensibly 'left wing' Labour Party have privatised core activities which many Tories saw as being properly the business of the state (like Air Traffic Control).