PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Airways AB Initio Pilot Recruitment
Old 15th Mar 2014, 16:17
cleared2fl340

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brainiarc7 - It's a club

I see your point. We are just sharing points of view - from experience and what we were told.
I have heard it said over and over again - it's a small industry. Opportunities exist, but are not many for the pilots with a few hours. That's why pilots with less than 250 hours are so many .....
Someone has to "hold your hand" otherwise one may give up flying or buy your own plane if you can...I know people who've done the latter .....
Let me say that KQ seems to give the most level playing field.....no one can hold your hand before medicals - and how many people get there ?
Airlines outside Kenya will most likely give priority to their own before considering an outsider. Moreover, it is highly unlikely that a foreigner with low hours will be given an opportunity....e.g. Emirates will want a captain with Airbus rating with 3000 hours plus ON TYPE ....

The reason one should select a school with reasonable rates are many. The savings could get you
1) an additional rating or two
2) more PIC hours
3) an hour building opportunity (some schools facilitate this - but you pay something for it)

Also when you come back, you may require a substantial amount for your conversion - depending on how many hours you back come with and the number of re-sits for the conversion paper.......

I was personally advised to fly for 10hrs before leaving the country for two reasons
1) Are you really sure you want to fly ? - Some people fly just once and quit - because of the turbulence in a small plane or they just become sick. It is wise to establish that you do really want to fly before spending money going to SA.
2) Network - By the time I left I knew a number of student pilots and instructors - it is these people who will tell things ....whatever ....that school....that plane....this airspace ... this company etc

All the best though. I always hasten to add that "Things work out differently for all people ". So follow your heart and accept whatever results your actions bring you ....