PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Building an Airforce from scratch
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2014, 14:18
t43562

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't think you can uninvent things. If we had no computers due to an EMP burst we'd start by building some.

A friend of mine at university spent time thinking about this and printed out the source code for a C compiler because he thought that if we ever had to bootstrap ourselves back into operation we'd need some emp-insensitive copies of our most useful software. He and I reckoned at that time that there would likely be some Motorola 68,000 chips that would survive somewhere because so many were made., By now it might be ARM chips, which are of course designed in Britain. Even if none survived we'd be well served to start by building some./we woudn't need to go theough all the endless debates about the best way to do things to the same degree as in the past - we'd have a pretty good plan to start with.

It would be a bloody great innovation in itself to reinvent all that stuff from scratch but it would help the entire rebuilding effort including, incidentally, an airforce.

If you think about it, everyone would be needed whatever their skills - not just the aerospace engineers and barring some long term continuing problem/danger we'd get back to high tech quite fast if we were away from it for less than a generation.