PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 15th Mar 2014, 09:23
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all the readers of this thread
I am probably a bit over sensitive to what I perceive as instructor bashing so I apologize for the thread hijack
I will step aside to avoid any further thread creep

BPF

I do not think anyone has actually be critical of instructors. They operate within a framework set by up till now by the CAA/JAA and also operate with the technology available to day.

In the past that technology was not available and i would not be surprised if the accident statistics were higher back then as there were not the pilot aids or situational awareness displays and terrain mapping as well as engine management and auto wing levellers available now.

I am sure back then practically pilots HAD to be more creative, more hands on and more instinctive in their flying than nowadays.

Society has also changed and we have without doubt become more of a mummy state with liability claims for anything and everything which IMO has changed instructing to more the paint by numbers rather than flying being a creative art! With the extra risks that may in small ways involved.

BPF your comments on fast approaches being the cause of broken nose wheels which I totally disagree with is IMO indicative of the paint by numbers regime not a criticism of the modern instructors but a change caused by the mummy state mentality

But that is not to do with the instructors as individuals but only the guidance and structures they have to work in! Maybe a swing to paint by numbers rather than the art of flying.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 15th Mar 2014 at 12:13.