PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bell 505 Jet Ranger X
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2014, 00:15
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't see the tube frame as a big issue, the AS350 is built around the 'hexahedron' now, and Robinson has made very effective use of tube frames. The Bell 47, tube frame and all, would still have a market if the economics worked. That's the clue, I don't think that long term production costings work for the 206 tubs, unless they're made with South Asian labor type prices.
The R22 was funny looking at first sight, but in the end the mathematics of it resulted in success and derivatives that are much better airframes for their markets. That's the competitor that Bell is defending against with this design. Sud Aviation, Aerospatiale, EuroCopter, Airbus, whatever they are this week, addresses a different market segment, a part of the industry that Bell surrendered decades ago.
I think Bell accurately appreciates the challenge that Robinson presents. They haven't put a wrong foot forward yet, in my opinion, while Bell has a history of failed offerings. This decontented Long Ranger might work for now if it's cheap enough. It's a thumb in the dike unless it's followed by an offering advancing the state of art faster than Frank Robinson will with his next...