PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brooklands
Thread: Brooklands
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2014, 20:33
iwalkedaway

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ahem - I have actually driven the Napier-Railton at Brooklands, and got my shoe caught between its throttle pedal and the underside of the brake. Since the Members' Banking river bridge over the Wey was demolished many years ago, and I was bounding towards the gap over the crumbling concrete of the banking, that was most decidedly a mind-concentrating moment (which we got away with)...

I hugely recommend the Brooklands Museum to children of all ages, whether the core interest is cars, motor-cycles, aeroplanes or just the period (1907-1939). I took my grandchildren there recently at half-term and - aged 2-7 - they just adored it. Sitting at the captain's controls on the VC10, or in the pilot's seat of the P1127, or experiencing the interior of a Wellington fuselage mock-up, or sitting in an Ayrton Senna-model Formula 1 McLaren could each be a life-deciding experience. The Concorde Experience, for £4 a ticket, is fantastic - highly recommended. With a flight video, audio effects AND seat vibration pads to heighten the experience my much-travelled infant grand-daughter was so convinced we'd taken off that she burst into tears when she was told that the usual nice lady with the grub and drinkypoos wasn't coming round...

I have no formal connection with the Museum, nor am I one of its volunteers - just a lifelong enthusiast and 68-year-old child who hadn't visited for years...but am now a confirmed fan. Do pay a visit...it offers fantastic value.