PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pre Skills Test Nightmare
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2003, 23:10
witchdoctor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tmybr

Don't lose too much sleep about it. Remember that glide approaches are non-standard manouevres which you would only ever have to carry out if you lost an engine, and your sole objective is to make sure that you and your pax can walk away afterwards. It's not a spot landing competition, so don't get hung up too much on the kind of accuracy you would be looking for from a 'normal' approach.

I used to screw up glide approaches all the time, but the majority were considered safe and therefore acceptable. I even managed to carry out a glide approach in a Seneca from what should have been an assymetric approach - I was way too high on base leg and ended up throttling the remaining good engine back to idle just so we could make the threshold (doh!). I still passed the flight test (with a rather sever b*llocking) and now earn my living in the air. Does that frighten anyone else?

Examiners want you to pass and aren't looking for excuses to fail you. The best advice I ever got from an examiner was this:

"I'm looking for 3 things;

1. Did you fly as briefed.
2. Were you safe.
3. Would I have been comfortable as a passenger.

If I can answer yes to those, you pass. Everything else just determines you grade."