PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 14th Mar 2014, 16:26
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of the instructors I had were perfectly good. All of them are long since gone to fly the big shiny things, instructors have changed several times over since my experiences, and I am not familiar with the current setup. Which makes it difficult and probably unfair to use my experiences as a yard stick.

I actually enjoyed learning to fly there, the incidents I mentioned were isolated just added a bit of amusement. Apart from the cloud incident which pissed me off a bit.

Having mentioned the down bits, there were enough good instructors who would organise evening lectures on navigation, met, etc which generated a sense of belonging to something worthwhile.

I had an idea which I've never found the time to build was a three dimension model of airspace. Taking several quarter million charts, or even one if you like. Mounted on a sheet of plywood with the airspace built up with translucent bits of plastic. The 3D heights would have to be exaggerated or 2000 feet amounts to .096 inches/2.5 millimetres! At least this would let the student see how airspace looks & how to slide round or under it. For the de- luxe version build high ground from styrofoam as well. Any use?

Another good instructor I had would announce "There is a PA 28 just taken off & he's heading this way, don't let him see you, & get on his tail & stay there." Stick & rudder skill required while looking & positioning. Much argument afterwards as to whether we shot him down or not.

So 3D models of the Ruhr dams & dog fighting practice, would that help?